Old 20-05-2007, 02:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] szeik@hotmail.com is offline

Default Just planted our little farm - what next?

Hi,

Newbie farmer here. Just planted out little farm. About 9 tomatoe
plants spread 2 feet apart, 1 green bean bush variety thanks to our
daughters Kindergarten class, and about 6 cucumbers planted 2 feet
apart. It was a busy morning.

So this week looks like temperatures will be mid 70's during the day
going down to about 50 at night. No rain for the first 4 days which
is probably a good thing. Had a lot of rain yesterday so the dirt is
nice and moist.

This year I even added manure to the little farm and purchased a nice
watering hose extension thing.

I have the area fenced in with chicken wire.

So now I just sit back and hope nothing wilts and water every now and
then, right?

I have some of those tomatoe cages and I need to get those on asap.
Someone suggested using tomatoe cages for the cucumbers as well. I
tried to get my cucumbers to vine last year but they didn't seem to
cooperate. Seemed to want to stay on the ground. Should I just let
them grow as they want or try to get them to vine onto something?

Thanks in advance for any more tips.

Steve - tired farmer