Old 20-05-2007, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Calvin Steve Calvin is offline

Default Just planted our little farm - what next?

wrote:
Hi,

Newbie farmer here. Just planted out little farm. About 9 tomatoe
plants and about 6 cucumbers

6 cukes? You should be swimming in them. With 9 tomatoes
you're also going to have enough. Get ready for some canning
or making non-flavored sauce for freezing. I do the sauce
and freezing route. We have "fresh" base for sauce all year
that way.

So now I just sit back and hope nothing wilts and water every now and
then, right?

Weed.

I have some of those tomatoe cages and I need to get those on asap.
Someone suggested using tomatoe cages for the cucumbers as well.

I tried the tomato cages for my cukes and they did "ok" but
seem to prefer a trellis.

Oh, you said that you put some manure in. I *hope* you used
composted as opposed to "fresh"? I "assume" that you
'tilled it in well too?

Good luck and good eatin'

--
Steve