Old 20-05-2007, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] szeik@hotmail.com is offline

Default Just planted our little farm - what next?

On May 20, 11:26 am, Steve Calvin wrote:
wrote:
Hi,

Newbie farmer here. Just planted out little farm. About 9 tomatoe
plants and about 6 cucumbers

6 cukes? You should be swimming in them. With 9 tomatoes
you're also going to have enough. Get ready for some canning
or making non-flavored sauce for freezing. I do the sauce
and freezing route. We have "fresh" base for sauce all year
that way.

So now I just sit back and hope nothing wilts and water every now and
then, right?

Weed.

I have some of those tomatoe cages and I need to get those on asap.
Someone suggested using tomatoe cages for the cucumbers as well.

I tried the tomato cages for my cukes and they did "ok" but
seem to prefer a trellis.

Oh, you said that you put some manure in. I *hope* you used
composted as opposed to "fresh"?

It was dehydrated manure. It looked composted though. Didn't smell
at all. Was kind of moist despite being dehyrdrated. Very easy to
work with.

I "assume" that you
'tilled it in well too?

Yep, tilled it in real good! My back is feeling it!

Steve