Old 20-05-2007, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Tyler Tim Tyler is offline

Default http://mulberrytrees.co.uk/

K wrote:
Tim Tyler writes

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/terminf1.htm
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/fruitid6.htm4

Scroll down for the pictures.

....and strip off any numbers accidentally appended to
the URLs.

Definitely female catkins. I note he says that male and female catkins
occur on different trees (both as a general statement about mulberries
in general, then further down about black mulberries specifically) and
that would explain why I can't find male catkins.

Perhaps too late for male catkins where you are.

From the same site:

``The black mulberry (Morus nigra), a monoecious tree native to western
Asia''

- http://waynesword.palomar.edu/jackfr1.htm

``The black mulberry (Morus nigra) is a dioecious tree native to western
Asia''

- http://waynesword.palomar.edu/fruitid6.htm

I suspect a copy-and-paste-o.

But you were saying that black mulberry is monoecious?
And obviously your particular tree is if you are in a
position to pinch out male catkins.

Black mulberry is always monoecious - AFAIK.

A few web sites claim it is dioecious. Maybe there
are dioecious black mulberry plants around that I
haven't heard about.
--