Old 20-05-2007, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone Persephone is offline

Default Plants that attract wasps and bees

On Sun, 20 May 2007 16:53:23 -0400, John McGaw
wrote:

texas_gardener wrote:
I'm newly retired and moved into a house where I can garden. I'm
deathly allergic to the stings of wasps and bees, however. Are there
plants I should avoid, such as lilac or honeysuckle? I was thinking
of lining the flowerbeds along the drive with honeysuckle...

Have you talked to your MD about getting an EpiPen or three to have
around? It is a wise precaution for anyone with debilitating allergic
reactions.

Yes, please, check out the EpiPen! Been there...

Personally, I'm not what you'd call allergic to insect stings, beyond
the normal aversion to the pain, but in ten years here in a large yard
with many honey bees, bumblebees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, and
other stinging insects I've only been stung once. And that was by some
ground-nesting beastie which I stirred up with the lawnmower and which
stung me through my shirt and which raised an amazingly painful knot.
This happened nowhere close to any flowering plants.