Old 20-05-2007, 11:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
nonews nonews is offline

Default Plants that attract wasps and bees

Go to a sporting goods store and buy the net garments that protect hunters
and fishermen from bees and mosquitoes. Wear the head net over a hat to
protect face and neck. The shirt net offers some protection but wearing a
long sleeved shirt will help. I've gardened in Austin and know the heat and
long-sleeved shirts are not comfortable in the heat. Wear leather gloves and
there are net gloves that can be worn over them. Tape or tie the pants nets
to the shoes. Good luck.

You don't say what part of the nation of Texas you are in. There's a big
difference in gardening in Houston and Odessa. Lilacs won't survive the heat
except possibly in northeastern Texas. Go to a book store and buy a Texas
gardening book. They give good advice on what will survive in the different
areas of Texas. Water rationing in some parts of Texas limits plant
selection. Soil alkalinity also limits plants in some parts.

"texas_gardener" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm newly retired and moved into a house where I can garden. I'm
deathly allergic to the stings of wasps and bees, however. Are there
plants I should avoid, such as lilac or honeysuckle? I was thinking
of lining the flowerbeds along the drive with honeysuckle...