Old 20-05-2007, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes[_2_] Alan Holmes[_2_] is offline

Default First first early spuds

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"R.A.Omond" wrote ...
Peter Robinson wrote:
judith wrote:

On Sun, 20 May 2007 00:16:32 +0100, (Peter
Robinson) wrote:

I couldn't resist any more, so I dug up one of my first early ("Maris
Bard") potato plants this afternoon. I've never grown potatoes before,
so I didn't know quite what to expect.

When had you planted them?

11th March.

Was a bit touch & go with frost in the week of 19th-25th March, but they
hadn't shown above the soil by then and we haven't had any frost here
since they did first show (5th April).

Hmmm... I planted my first earlies (Home Guard) on the 10th/11th March;
I'm tempted too. The plants are all looking in absolutely excellent
condition. Second earlies (Charlottes) went in one week later, and they
too are all looking in beautiful condition.

Main crop (Pink Fir Apple) went in 22nd April, and they're only now
all starting to bud through.

Tempted though I am, I'm going to leave it for another couple of weeks.

An old gardener I knew said to start digging earlies 12 to 14 weeks from
planting depending on the spring. I would think that this year 12 weeks
would be about right.

Trouble is, I can't remember when I put mine in!

Perhaps I should have made a note in the diary, but I couldn't remember to
do that!(:-(