Old 21-05-2007, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue[_3_] Sue[_3_] is offline

Default Help re bird in garden

wrote
On May 21, 10:12 am, Klara wrote:
We had this problem with a woodpecker, and we covered the house with
bottom tray from a pram we happened to have kept. A largeish hanging
basket or something similar could also be draped over the nest box, I
think: anything the tits can get through but not the bigger bird,
whatever it is.

Thanks Clara, I am off to empty out a hanging basket.

Sounds like the bird is a great spotted woodpecker. Handsome things - we
have one visiting our peanut feeder every day.

Too late for this season, but you might find nestboxes for small birds
are available that have a flat metal surround fixed round the entrance
hole to prevent attack by woodpeckers. Perhaps you could fix something
suitable to the box for future years. We got one from the RSPB catalogue
like that several years ago which also has a removable front panel so it
can be converted to a des res for robins.

--
Sue