Old 21-05-2007, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
xPosTech xPosTech is offline

Default moisture content in soil

On 5/21/2007 7:12 AM, john wrote:
On May 15, 8:58 pm, john wrote:
Could anyone tell me what peat with a 70% moisture content would look
and feel like. I would appreciate any help

John

I found the answer and as no one in this group seems to know I will
explain.

You get completely dry peat and weigh it - say 100g.

You then add water and weigh it again. If it weights 150g it contains
50% water content. If it weights 170g it contains 70% moisture
content.

Simple!

John

Isn't peat able to absorb several times its own weight in water? That
being the case, I don't think it would feel wet. Maybe a tad damp, but
I've never made that particular test.

But it wouldn't take very much water at all to reach 70%. I've bought
huge bales of the stuff that weighed very little for their size. It was
marked 'peat mulch'. Fine, dusty stuff. I think it works better as a
soil amendment than sitting on top. Didn't want to put it down in windy
conditions.

God Bless
--
pre
Ted

I bought a tape called "Subliminal Advertising"br
The next day I bought 47 more.