Old 21-05-2007, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default Plants that attract wasps and bees

texas_gardener wrote in
oups.com:

On May 21, 6:03 am, FragileWarrior
wrote:
What type of allergic reaction? Does your throat swell up until you
stop breathing or does the sting location get hot, swollen, red and
continue to swell for days after the bite?

I haven't been bitten since I was a child, many, many moons ago. I
used to get wildly painful mosquitos bites; I was running once in
Hawaii and got 63 infected bites, from the mosquitos rising in the
morning due to the morning traffic, I was told. The one time I was
bitten by a wasp the results were not inability to breath, but your
second mention: "hot, swollen, red" and continues "to swell for days
after the bite." So perhaps, as an adult, it's not an issue. I bet
it is, though.

You might want to be tested for it, if that's possible. There's nothing
like getting bit and thinking you're about to die when all you really
have to do is take some Benedryl and mosey on over to the Dr's. office.
I always thought an allergic reaction was an allergic reaction was an
allergic reaction and if you had ANY kind of reaction then death was
always a possibility. My doctor finally said no, that I had the type
that was inconvinient but not deadly. The sweat bee bite I got on my
elbow this spring made my arm swell from wrist to armpit and half way
'round but it wasn't fatal and that's just as well because I was a long,
long, long way from help when it happened. It really is nice to know
what type of allergic reaction you will have when you feel that sting.