Old 21-05-2007, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter James[_2_] Peter James[_2_] is offline

Default Spartan apple

Gill Matthews Try the wrote:

In article ,
says...
I have a Spartan Apple trained as an espalier growing along a garden
wall. Earlier in the month the tree was covered with blossoms most of
which began to develop as small fruit. In the past 5 or 6 days the
majority of these fruit have fallen off the tree leaving very few. I
guess there must be a reason for this. Can someone explain?

There is something called the June drop where top friut trees loose
a fairly largr number of their small fruit as the tree does not have
enough energy to grow them all to size. This drop can be increased
if the tree gets very dry. (It has been wet for the last week or so
but it was very dry before that) How long have you had the tree BTW

Gill M

5 or 6 years this autumn if my memory serves me correctly.