Old 29-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Major Container Gardening Improvement

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 17:52:43 -0700, Arri London
wrote:

about 'Square Foot Gardening', by Mel Bartholomew

That is a good idea.
I do like his book, although most of what he talks about has
been done by gardeners around the world for centuries.
Certainly in drier climates, where good soil and water are
very scarce.

It's a handy book to have, IMHO. It gives me the spacing
for each plant: e.g., in a square foot of area, I can plant
four lettuce plants.

My container gardening pots are round, but happily their
area isn't much different from one square foot - they're 14"
in diameter and have about 153 square inches. So I can use
Bartholomew's charts for spacing.

I'm dubious that his spacing would work in some soils, but
the container gardening pots have 'perfect' soil - spent
mushroom soil - that's very fertile and also very nicely
textured so each pot will, in fact, grow a surprisingly
large amount.

Pat
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY