Old 21-05-2007, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill Rose Bill Rose is offline

Default moisture content in soil

In article
,
Bill Rose wrote:

john, if 70% of the wetted peat's weight is water, then the dry peat
represents 30% or .3(x) = 100g where "x" equals the total weight.
Rearrange: x = 100g/.3 = 333.3333g

So you would have 3 1/3 times more water than peat in the final product.

- Bill

Uh. Whoops. Sorry. 333.3333g is the total weight. The water would weigh
233.3333g, so it would be 2 1/3 times heavier than the peat. That's my
story and I'm sticking with it.

Got twelve more corn planted today, along with 2 zukes. Sowed my flax.
Thank god I won't have to build another rail spur next year. Now I need
to re-pot a geranium that I thought had died during the frost this
winter. I potted a volunteer nasturtium in a hanging pot about a month
ago and it is in flower now. Cucumbers are taking a beating from
something. Spread out another helping of "Sluggo". I also cast some
clover between the stepping stones in the garden. If it takes, it should
add some extra nitrogen to the soil. I;m also spending some time
trimming back ivy (snail cover) and some taller plants that throw shade
into the garden. I hope to get a jaiogulan planted before the day is
done. Then there is that pesky wooden garage and damp rot that needs
looking into. Good thing I just had my afternoon coffee.

- Bill
Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (and away)