Old 29-03-2003, 01:32 PM

Default Will my clematis sieboldii survive?

"Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson" wrote in
message ...
: The message
: from "K" contains these words:
:
: I planed 3 of the above in a large earthenware pot last spring and they
: flowered beautifully on their support. For the winter, I covered the
: compost with a black membrane and bark chippings and they had recently
: started to sprout new leaves. A couple of weeks ago we had a few quite
hard
: frosts here in outer London and I notice the new shoots have been
affected.
: Now I've just got a brown straggly mess. Have I lost them, or is there
: chance they will shoot again? They were so pretty and were the first
: clematis I have tried in a container so I would hate to lose them.
:
: I don't know the answer to the question, I'm afraid, except that, with a
: bit of luck, there might be more buds below the surface of the compost,
: which might sprout.
:
: I'm interested in the hardiness of C. sieboldii generally as well. On
: Rachel Sullivan's excellent website, (http://www.ukclematis.co.uk) she
: says that Clematis florida 'Sieboldii' needs a "very sheltered
: site/conservatory". In one or two other places I've looked it doesn't
: specify so much protection, but obviously your experiences too suggest
: that it's susceptible.
:
: I wonder whether Rachel or anyone else can comment more fully? My baby
: plant is standing outside at the moment and seems to have survived
: recent frosts.
:
: Janet G
:
Thanks, Janet. I also read Rachel's comments and had compared it to other
info I have read. At the time I thought mine was OK as it had survived what
I call winter frosts, but it obviously got caught by the early spring ones.