Old 21-05-2007, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joe Higman Joe Higman is offline

Default Jostaberries

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Joe Higman" writes:

| Does anyone know how to grow these? They are said to be a cross between
| gooseberries and blackcurrants but which parent do they favour?
Should I
| prune them as a bush, like a gooseberry, or to produce suckers (sorry
if
| this is the wrong word) like a blackcurrant.

Eh? My blackcurrents and Jostaberries don't sucker much! You can cut
them back fairly hard, but that's not the same.

I grow them but, the few berries we have got, have been uninspiring.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks for replying. I suppose what I mean is that as I understand it from
books I've referred to, gooseberries are supposed to be pruned so as to
produce bushes like small apple or pear trees. Blackcurrants are supposed to
be planted so that there are a number of shoots emerging from the soil, and
the old shoots are cut back close to the soil to make room for new ones. So
do you treat jostaberries like gooseberries or blackcurrants? Or have I got
it wrong? (This is the problem with learning this stuff from books, I
suppose).

All the best

Fogey