Old 21-05-2007, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Tyler Tim Tyler is offline

Default Jostaberries

Joe Higman wrote:

Thanks for replying. I suppose what I mean is that as I understand it
from books I've referred to, gooseberries are supposed to be pruned so
as to produce bushes like small apple or pear trees. Blackcurrants are
supposed to be planted so that there are a number of shoots emerging
from the soil, and the old shoots are cut back close to the soil to make
room for new ones.

"No shoot rising from the base of the plant should remain in
place longer than three years."

There's a large old blackcurrant bush near me in a public spot.

It doesn't look like it is ever pruned - yet crops very heavily.

It makes me very reluctant to cut my own bush back.
--