Old 21-05-2007, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default First first early spuds

On Sun, 20 May 2007 20:25:17 +0100, Brick
wrote:

An old gardener I knew said to start digging earlies 12 to 14 weeks from
planting depending on the spring. I would think that this year 12 weeks
would be about right.

Are there any signs to look for - I heard someting about potatoes being
ready when the flowers finished - that would mean our Juliettes have
taken 9 weeks or so!

As I understand it, if you pick off the flowers the spuds will
continue to grow. Once they flower, the plant's energy goes into
making the fruits which we don't want because they are poisonous.

Pam in Bristol