Old 22-05-2007, 04:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
JimR JimR is offline

Default What's a good new rider for a limited budget?

"gorehound" wrote in message
Basically what the subject says. I have a 20 year old Lawn Chief that now
is breaking down every time I mow. I have up to two thousand (but wouldn't
mind spending less) to spend on a mower and a little less than an acre of
grass. What brand of mower would be recommended in my situation? I was
offered a "deal" on a Sabre (by John Deere), but my wife doesn't want to
buy used. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Shane

I'm very happy with my JD L130, which was $1800, from either a JD dealer or
Lowes/Home Depot. The new model number is LA 130. I have about an acre to
mow, but I use the Deere mostly for other purposes as a tractor, usually
towing a cart with debris or a lawn sweeper for the gravel driveway.

The L 130 has twin blades, 42" cut, blades are easy to change and sharpen,
and routine engine servicing is convenient (e.g., changiing oil.) It's got
several upgrades from my earlier JD tractor, including a gas level sight
gage, cup holder, and hourmeter / service reminder. I'd buy it again, and
spend the couple of hundred dollars more for the John Deere rather than for
Craftsman, Cub Cadet, Husqvarna or some of the other homeowner level
tractors.