Old 22-05-2007, 04:36 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Smitty Smitty is offline

Default water

Hi Phyllis,
Thanks for the welcome. The only thing I don't like about the hyacinth is that the roots clog my pump. It does however reproduce like crazy. I really don't know that much about the celery. Anything I put in my pond has to be hardy. The cat tails that I have have been in a 5 gallon bucket for 10 years. When they escape I just pull them up and bury them in my alley. Yeah Phyllis, I got em growing in my alley. I keep the pump about 6" under the top of the water in the "unfrozen" months and towards the bottom in the frozen months. I just can't keep that floating stuff in the upper pond. Always ends up in the bottom pond or clogging my waterfall and pump. How do you you and Jim handle that?

Smitty

P.S. I replied to the group. Is that correct, or do I reply to you directly?

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message s.com...
Smitty,

It is nice to have you here.

You set up sounds great. The upper pond (veggie filter?) seems to be
working very well. Jim set our system up in a similar manner. Our
berm ponds collect the muck and the lower pond never needs cleaning.
Have you ever run something like hyacinth or water celery in your
upper pond? Ours grows like anything all summer.l Jim throws out
bushels of hyacinth (that he describes as reprocessed fish waste). He
also sends celery and hyacinth to other ponders.

Jim and I both enjoy the group a lot.

Phyllis