Old 29-03-2003, 01:56 PM
silvasurfa

Default Shade-loving ground cover to supress weeds

"susannah" wrote in message
Sedges are a good idea, you local Landcare group, or Council
bushcare/Natural Resources officer or similar type position will or should
have an aexcellent idea of what to plant at your site..

As for a groundcover that likes shade and suppresses weeds... Microlaena
stipoides is fantastic at this, and in low/lower light situations. It

seeds
quite prolofically and also spreads vegetatively, though much slower than

it
does by seed.

All the little herbs that have been suggested are great, though if you are
near a waterway and want to rehabilitate the site, I would usggest not
putting in any exotics, especially Nasturtiums.

The main advantage I've found with nasturtiums (other than low cost) is
their ease of removal... very vulnerable to weedicides of all sorts, easy to
pull out by hand, seeds come up for a couple of years but it is nothing like
you get with weeds. And I've never seen them gone totally feral... I think
once every few years something catastrophic happens and they tend to die out
at any particular site.

Mind you, I am in South Australia, which is probably a different situation
to the OP. But I've never actually seen nasturtiums listed as a dangerous
weed anywhere. Are they a problem anywhere in Australia?