Old 22-05-2007, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default Seed compost recommendation

"Jim Jackson" wrote in message
Peter Fairbrother wrote:

I have been using J Arthur Bower's John Innes seed compost, and I don't

like
it much - the peat is not sieved, and it doesn't seem to drain properly.

I only use about 5 to 10 litres of seed compost per year, so within

reason
cost isn't an issue - can anyone recommend something better, for general
use?

Next years seedlings will thank you! , as do I,

All sorts of stuff in reply. I'm surprized no one has mentioned leaf
mould. I mix leaf mould and riddled turf loam, a little extra
horticultural sand. I used to sterilise small amounts for seeds, but don't
bother now. Yes you get flush of weed seeds - but they can be weeded.
Costs very little other than a bit of organising and I've always got
plenty. No air miles or peat bothering either!

Quite agree but can not produce enough!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk