Old 22-05-2007, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Oxymel of Squill Oxymel of Squill is offline

Default Amusing & irritating gardening progs

the BBC seems to go for a cosy warm atmosphere rather than for information.
The series by Carol Eyecandy-Granny about vegetables was hot on shots of
cosy tea times with people smirking at each other over their organic kohl
rabi and very low on how to do it best. In fact Granny's major claim to be
on the box telling me how to grow spuds seemed to be that she had never
grown them before

If there's ever an item about some bit of technical work you can bet your
bum that the camera won't be on the fingers of the expert so we can see what
they're doing but on their face as they desperately communicate their
'enthusiasm'

"Broadback" wrote in message
Surely I cannot be the only one to be amused and irritated by the
gardening programmes. They are so impracticable to us normal beings.
Recently on gardeners world they were repairing a thyme and camomile lawn
by planting thyme into bare patches that had failed, the box of plants
they were using must have cost more than most of us spend in a year on
gardening. Then they talk of hardening off plants, has everyone a
greenhouse to grow them in, a cold frame to transfer them to then a
sheltered corner? I think not! How is your window box by the way? ;-)
As for Chelsea flower show those fancy structures and sculptures probably
cost more than my house. Anyway I'd much prefer a Rodin in my garden,
probably cheaper as well.