Old 22-05-2007, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ron Hardin Ron Hardin is offline

Default Autumn Olive bloom/ freeze die-off?

Leon Fisk wrote:
Don't fret Autumn Olives fragility, they are the most
tenacious tree/shrub I know off...

The skillfully timed freeze certainly killed mine off. They don't
look healthy at all, with perhaps a dozen leaves total.

I like them for the fruits, which the birds eat. I'd prefer Russian
Olive, which keeps the fruits through winter, but it won't grow at all
in the Central Ohio clay.

Buffalo Berry thrives, but unfortunately has never produced a fruit.
I must have gotten a dozen males or something.

The most successful for winter fruit have been Washington Hawthorne
and Smooth Sumac. The latter reproduces everywhere, which is handy.

I scythe down what turns up encroaching in the lawn.
--
Ron Hardin