Old 23-05-2007, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default goats

In article ,
John Savage wrote:

"Rachael Simpson" writes:
Thanks for all the advise and the laughs. Due to money restrictions, i =
think we are going to try tethering them - might have to tie them to a =
cement block though!

Following on from the poster with goats that slipped out of their collars:
I wonder would it be possible to fit a goat with a large size dog lead
of the type that fits around the shoulders and under the chest, rather
than using a collar that goes around just the neck?

I'm also wondering aloud whether anyone has ever tried hobbles on goats?
These are used on horses and camels to stop them taking large strides so
they can be turned out at night to forage without wandering far.
Would flexible straps connecting a goat's front legs work in stopping
the animal climbing? It could take short steps, and still pronk, but
probably would not be able to climb up wire netting. Hobbles would
eliminate the need to move each animal's tether-point each day and to
provide separate water sources. It might be worth consulting a vet on
this, if it sounds feasible. I'd expect it would take a bit of getting
used to, initially, and the hobbles would need to be expertly crafted
and endorsed by a professional vet.

Knowing goats, they'd eat soft hobbles... ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.