Old 23-05-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Tiny little ants!!

On 23 May 2007 07:36:11 -0700, texas_gardener wrote:
they were coming in. But what should I do about the garden? I have
tomatoes and eggplant coming in (hopefully), not to mention all kinds
of flowers.

Unless you're dealing with fire ants or carpenter ants, you can pretty
much relax -- most ants have no interest in your gardens or your house,
other than as a freeway from here to there. I think we can rule out
carpenter ants from your description of "small":
http://citybugs.tamu.edu/FastSheets/Ent-1001.html
http://tcebookstore.org/pubinfo.cfm?pubid=572 (click on "read publication"--
it's free online.)
http://citybugs.tamu.edu/fastsheets.asp

Really good book about ants:
Holldobler and Wilson: The Ants. Springer. 1998.

Kay