Old 24-05-2007, 12:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ron Hardin Ron Hardin is offline

Default Autumn Olive bloom/ freeze die-off?

Leon Fisk wrote:
Have you taken a good look at the base/trunk of your shrubs
for girdling? I would be really, really surprised if they
don't push up new growth regardless of the cause...

They're not girded. Apparently the leaf buds froze and that's that,
I'm told. It may revive or it may not.

I killed off some Black Locust by girdling with a spokeshaver (plane),
and had to repeat it for three years, since the brown stuff grew back,
but apparently most things aren't so resiliant. Even then it kept
growing shoots from below the girdling.

Maybe Autumn Olive, having a reputation as a nuisance, will persist
likewise.

I'm quite surprised such a hardy plant minded a deep freeze after a
thaw.
--
Ron Hardin