Old 24-05-2007, 11:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dave Dave is offline

Default Lettuce harvest question

"Him" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi - for the first time I am this year growing lettuce in my garden. I
bought some head lettuce plants and all is ok. I also bought some of what
thought were leaf lettuce plants but now I am not sure. As a kid I
remember
my Dad growing leaf lettuce in a row and just snipping it off to collect
it
and it grew back ... that is what I was after.

What I got is called Salad Bowl ... some are red and some are green
color.
How do I harvest these? Do they form a head and then get cut and done or
can I cut the leaves and they grow back?

Thanks for your ideas and help.

Leaf lettuce takes about 2 months from germination to be ready for gleaning
their leaves. 2 more months of leaf production. After that, the plant
concentrates on reproduction by flowering and seeding. Replacement of
leaves rapidly declines during that stage.
Dave