Old 24-05-2007, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies Emrys Davies is offline

Default Ants in planted pots ok?

"Mike" wrote in message
I have a large olive in a pot in my patio garden and it has grown very

well,
however I notice in the last few days that ants are entering the pot

from
the bottom and taking soil out (only small amounts). Are they living

in it?
Will it hurt the plant?

I have tried moving the olive but they seem to follow it around!

Any advice?

Mike

If the ants form a colony in the pot it certainly will be detrimental to
the plant so I would deter them by standing the pot in water for a short
while and this will cause the ants to disperse. Then place the pot in
an ant free spot and hopefully all will be well.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.