Old 24-05-2007, 07:11 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Daniel B. Martin Daniel B. Martin is offline

Default Ongoing care for tomato plants

wrote:
Any suggestions for ongoing care for tomato plants to ensure a good
yield ?
- I put a bit of lime in the soil when they were planted. I'm worried
about blossom end rot - should I apply more lime?
- How 'bout Miracle Grow or other soluble fertilizers? Once a week ?
- Any preference for mulches - wheat straw vs shredded hardwood, etc?

For blossom end rot:
I have had good results with Stop Rot, a concentrated calcium solution.
Dilute 1 tablespoon per quart of water.
Spray the entire plant: foliage, fruit, blossoms, everything.
Do this only two or three times through the whole growing season.
The same product is available with similar names, including Rot Stop.

For fertilizer:
I like Miracle Grow, but mix it at half strength and apply it twice
as often as the package instructions specify.

For mulch:
I've tried all sorts of mulches and had the best results with ordinary
tree leaves collected in the autumn. They do a good job of weed
control, and at the end of the growing season they have broken down
into little crumbly particles. Tilled under, they improve the soil.

Daniel B. Martin