Old 24-05-2007, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gentlegreen gentlegreen is offline

Default Ficus Benjamina - acid-loving ?

Dear Urglers,

I half-heartedly took some cuttings from an office plant a few months back
and stuck them into "Westland MP with added John Innes" with no rooting
hormone. I was surprised when two of them rooted.

But growth is being slowed by the growing tips dieing back... which made me
think the GP compost was a bit "hot".
There is some slight banding on newer leaves (veins remaining dark) ...which
made me think of iron deficiency ...

I can find no reference to ficus benjamina being acid-loving.

The plants are in amongst others so I'm guessing there's reasonable
humidity.

I just went and checked my colleague's plant from where I nicked the
cuttings and it's similarly banded, but the tips are fine .. she apparently
only feeds it milky tea and coffee !