Old 24-05-2007, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John E John E is offline

Default Ants in compost heap

I have a compost bin, which I am enthusiastically filling up with kitchen
(plant) waste and occasional weeds/lawn clippings. There is an ants nest in
the soil under the bin, and the ants are regularly to be seen in the
compost.

Is this something I should be concerned about? If so, what should I do to
deal with it? (I would have hoped that the heat of the decomposing plants
might have discouraged the perishers, but it seems not.)

John.