Old 24-05-2007, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default First first early spuds

Steve writes

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 20 May 2007 20:25:17 +0100, Brick
wrote:

Are there any signs to look for - I heard someting about potatoes being
ready when the flowers finished - that would mean our Juliettes have
taken 9 weeks or so!

As I understand it, if you pick off the flowers the spuds will
continue to grow. Once they flower, the plant's energy goes into
making the fruits which we don't want because they are poisonous.

Pam in Bristol

My potatoes in pots have just started flowering (estima I think), so do I
wait till the flowers die off then pick the bud off to prevent the fruit?

I've not tried potatoes before, but these were some from the supermarket
which started sprouting so I figured why not?

Even if you don't pick off the flowers, the plant will still make
potatoes. It's basically a perennial, and the tubers (potatoes) are its
food store to allow it to grow up again next year.
--
Kay