Old 24-05-2007, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
steve auvache steve auvache is offline

Default Pre Composting Shredded Paper.

Today I became the proud owner of a paper shredder. I have been wanting
one of those for ages. Free compost from my local newspaper baron! Oh
joy.

I have been fondly anticipating this day and have been saving up my
waste deliberately for some time now.

Bulks up a bit dunnit.

So, we come to the nub of the problem. I figure I can pre-compost the
small mountain of shreddings coming my way soon in a semi controlled
environment prior to mixing with general compost material for a longer
decompose.

I plan to do this by adding an accelerant, some water, perhaps some
worms and a handful or two of ready fermented compost and dirt to the
council provided eminently biodegradable especially for the purpose
plastic bag(s) they are going to be in.

The questions a-

How long before the bags crumble to dust?
They may have to live in partial sunlight.

How much water?
I was thinking of 1:1 by weight but it is a guess.

How many worms,
Some or Lots and depending on the answer to the first question,
do they need holes?

How much dirt?
1:1 again.

--
steve auvache
A Bloo one with built in safety features