Old 25-05-2007, 03:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Himanshu Himanshu is offline

Default Flower bed: use landscape fabric or just plain mulch?

Zone 5 (Southern New England).

While renovating a flower bed a previous owner had put in, but it's my
first time, so and I'm wondering whether to use landscape fabric to
prevent weeds, or just go with mulch instead. Any opinions?

If I put landscape fabric I'd probably put a layer of much to hide the
fabric anyway.

How does one go about fertilizing and amending the soil if fabric is
used? I've read it's beneficial to lay down a few inches of shredded
leaves before winter sets in and I'm wondering if that means landscape
fabric would be more trouble than it's worth? Is it supposed to be
removed and replaced every so often?

FWIW, the lawn that's near this flower bed has weeds -- all kinds, I can
identify only dandelion, clover and maybe creeping charlie.

Thanks,

--
Himanshu