Old 25-05-2007, 08:19 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
George[_6_] George[_6_] is offline

Default Iris's blooming... Lillies are still catching up...

"Gareee©" wrote in message
Yellow irises all bloomed first, and now that they're taking a break, the
purple ones are all in bloom.

Parrot's feather is still spreading, and various other marginals are
doing.. um marginally well.

Took the cat's tails out of the pond, worrying about them puncturing the
liner.. relocated them slightly downhill of the pond, where the
underground water comes out.

Algae is going gangbusters, and visibility is just a few inches, with a
lot of suspended crap in the water.

I don't think I'll mess with the waterfall upper pondlet this year, and
instead concentrate on a bigger filter system of some kind.. the
rubbermaid one I made last year could never keep up, dispite having a
powerful enough pump.

Since the pond is in middle of the yard, trying to make something that's
not ugly is an issue. I'm thinking maybe one of those BIG rubbermaid
trashcans converted for filter use.

I'm sure the pond is overstocked now (almost 50 goldfish now, 8-12 frogs
and salamanders or newts is a 13x13x2 foot deep pond. 1/2 the day is gets
full sun, and even though I spent another $70 on plants last year, I
still can't get more then 1/4 shade cover for it at best.

Been battling the greenwater for 3 years now, and I'm frankly sick of
trying to deal with it. A new pump, uv filter, and new filter system
didn't do squat.

I've been unable to find anything for a veggie filter that will grow
fast, and is available here.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

My Iris bloomed two weeks ago, and my water lilly has a big bud on it (just
noticed today). I thinned my cattails earlier this year, and now have more
flowers(?) on them than ever. The last four years it has grown thicker and
thicker, but only produces a couple of flowers per year. At last count, I
have ten flower stalks. No signigicant algae. The water's pretty much
clear as glass. Everything's looking good except for one of the Koi. My
big orange looks like it got into a fight. I don't think it was the
catfish (though I haven't ruled it out). I think it is more likely that
one of the neighbor kids tried to catch it. Kids will be kids.

George