Old 25-05-2007, 08:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
jimnginger jimnginger is offline

Default Bugs eating my basil

On May 23, 8:01�am, Charlie wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2007 13:36:54 -0500, "Anny Middon"

wrote:
2. *I live outside Chicago. *Our every-17-year cicada infestation is
starting. *Is it possible it's cicadas eating my basil? *If so, I'll give up
on basil until the end of the cicada infestation, the end of July or so.

http://inside.msj.edu/academics/facu...aq.html#eating

Likely not cicadas. *I have had problems with slugs eating basil, but
they simply chomp out large areas, not leaving a lacy pattern.

Try inspecting your plants at night, with a flashlight. *Many of the
critters work undercover of darkness. *Even a few nibblers can do
major damage. *If the infestation is not severe, a good handpickin'
can work wonders.

Boron and Bill give good advice.

Charlie

Going out at night with a flashlight will give you your answer. I'm in
California and pill bugs, slugs, and earwigs love to feed at night. I
hand pick them off. Mine are in pots and that makes it simple. Regards
- Jim