Old 25-05-2007, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Coverage of Chelsea

On 24 May, 22:29, Sacha wrote:
On 24/5/07 22:09, in article
. com, "La Puce"

But if I may add, I wish we would not always assumed that garden
designers are not gardeners. Very often they are, many are architects
too and many are artists. I think the fusion of all, especially
gardeners and artists collaborations results in fantastic gardens.
Chelsea is trying to appeal to everyone, not only gardeners. And times
are changing ...

All are judged on their merits. Some, we know from experience, are not
plantsmen or women.

Indeed they're judged on their merits - and that's a matter of
personnal taste combined with knowledge of garden styles. The comments
we've read or heard are usually about the design, about materials
used, about structures and colours and shapes, (and that's not only
about the wardrobe and hair style of the designer/presenter/
gardener ...(sic). I've heard little comments about planting if at all
- it's always about 'did she/he knows how to propagate or grow a
potatoe?'. To me that's like asking if an architect knows how to mix
mortar. Perhaps he/she did at sometimes, but that's not what he/she
does now.

On this basis, and the fact that I've got a dissertation to write, I
would be ever so grateful to know the garden designers some of you
know who are not gardeners/plantsmen or plantswomen. I can't think of
any and my bibliography is getting in the hundreds now.