Old 25-05-2007, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes[_2_] Alan Holmes[_2_] is offline

Default Pre Composting Shredded Paper.

"steve auvache" wrote in message

Today I became the proud owner of a paper shredder. I have been wanting
one of those for ages. Free compost from my local newspaper baron! Oh
joy.

I have been fondly anticipating this day and have been saving up my
waste deliberately for some time now.

Bulks up a bit dunnit.

So, we come to the nub of the problem. I figure I can pre-compost the
small mountain of shreddings coming my way soon in a semi controlled
environment prior to mixing with general compost material for a longer
decompose.

I plan to do this by adding an accelerant, some water, perhaps some
worms and a handful or two of ready fermented compost and dirt to the
council provided eminently biodegradable especially for the purpose
plastic bag(s) they are going to be in.

The questions a-

How long before the bags crumble to dust?
They may have to live in partial sunlight.

How much water?
I was thinking of 1:1 by weight but it is a guess.

How many worms,
Some or Lots and depending on the answer to the first question,
do they need holes?

How much dirt?
1:1 again.

I just put it on the compost heap, not in very large quantities, but fairly
evenly distributed with ordinary compost material and grass cuttings, I
usually rely pon the rain to give me the water required, but in dry weather
a little now and again.

If your compost heap is straight on the ground you will not need to add
worms, they will find their own way in.

I wouldn't bother with putting it in plastic bags, just go straight to the
compost heap.

You could put some on the heap without shredding it, just as long as it is
only a small amount at a time, might be better not left in sheets though,
screw it up a bit.