Old 25-05-2007, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Question

"Wally" wrote in message
Hi, I'm a newbie to this growing lark, I've recently
taken a allotment and having a go for the first time this
year.
Been burying seeds and stuff and most seems to be growing,
however, looking at my broad beans today, they are
covered in black fly.
Will these pests do any harm to the plants?, if so
what is the best way to get rid of them??

Hi Wally:

first time you grow stuff you get very worried and/or annoyed when you see
critters eating your plants. The response is often a mixture of guilt
(where you think you have to start doing something about it and you see all
these shiny bottles of stuff in B+Q and feel you should be reading labels
and buying it all) or anger or panic. Often these pests just go away.
Often they do not but it is not the end of the world; you may still get a
crop. When you start a garden first time, you often get hammered by one lot
of pests or another until things settle down. Further, you can indeed do
something with a bottle of stuff from B+Q but that often has no effect
whatsoever or sometimes makes things worse. This is a good place to ask.
YOu have blackfly and broad beans do indeed get lots of them. Last time I
grew them I ignored them and all was well in the end. My guess in this case
is leave them although if you really have vast quantities, they can make the
plants suffer. Some folks spray soapy water over the plants but I have
never done that.

Des

Sorry if this sounds a silly question to the more experienced
of you but really I am a first timer and have a lot to learn.

Wally