Old 25-05-2007, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Pre Composting Shredded Paper.

On Fri, 25 May 2007 14:51:45 +0100, steve auvache
wrote:

Problem is that I have a rather large quantity of paper stored ready to
shred. Were it a normal week's collection of junk it would not be a
problem but the sheer mass of it all calls for special treatment as a
one off exercise.

You're not shredding newspaper are you? In my experience if you just
tear it up roughly, and mix it with other compost it will rot down
quickly. You will blunt the blades of your shredder too soon if you
use newspaper. Personal letters etc are all you need to shred.
If you are using an accelerator (urine is the cheapest!) don't add
worms as well. Either have a worm bin or an ordinary compost bin/heap.
Tearing newspaper is very therapeutic, once you find that broadsheets
tear one way and tablloids tear the other. Tear it into strips 3 or 4
inches wide and you will have it done quicker than shredding!
If you have lawn mowings, mix that in with the paper.

Pam in Bristol