Old 25-05-2007, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes[_2_] Alan Holmes[_2_] is offline

Default Pre Composting Shredded Paper.

"steve auvache" wrote in message
In article , Alan Holmes
writes

"steve auvache" wrote in message

Today I became the proud owner of a paper shredder. I have been wanting
one of those for ages. Free compost from my local newspaper baron! Oh
joy.

I have been fondly anticipating this day and have been saving up my
waste deliberately for some time now.

Bulks up a bit dunnit.

I just put it on the compost heap, not in very large quantities, but
fairly
evenly distributed with ordinary compost material and grass cuttings, I
usually rely pon the rain to give me the water required, but in dry
weather
a little now and again.

If your compost heap is straight on the ground you will not need to add
worms, they will find their own way in.

I wouldn't bother with putting it in plastic bags, just go straight to the
compost heap.

Problem is that I have a rather large quantity of paper stored ready to
shred. Were it a normal week's collection of junk it would not be a
problem but the sheer mass of it all calls for special treatment as a
one off exercise.

Just have some patience do it a bit at a time.

You could put some on the heap without shredding it,

and not play with my new toy, are you mad?

Sorry, not thinking prperly, and of course you should use your new toy, but
still use the results a little at a time!