Old 29-03-2003, 03:44 PM

Default Buy outdoor grown azaleas?

absolutely. forcing really screws the plant over and some of them never recover from
being forced. those grown outdoors havent been forced and are going to transplant
with little setback. in general pull the plant outta the pot. forced ones are packed
with roots in peat moss which is light and cheap to ship, but that peat moss is going
to dry out and/or be impossible to remove enough peat moss to loosen up the roots so
they grow out into the soil, those not forced are in real dirt. Ingrid

Polar wrote:
After I bought an azalea at Nursery "A", I passed by Nursery
"B" run by Japanese. Saw a lot of azaleas sitting out. Asked the
young man about them. He said their azaleas are grown outdoors, and
not "forced", like the one I just bought. Therefore their blooming
cycle is more natural. Whereas the greenhouse-grown ones are full of
blooms when they arrive at the nursery,but then they abruptly lose hem
all and it's quite a while till they bloom again.

What do people think of this explanation?

TIA

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com