Old 25-05-2007, 04:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default Iris's blooming... Lillies are still catching up...

On Thu, 24 May 2007 15:53:02 CST, "Gareee©"
wrote:

I'm sure the pond is overstocked now (almost 50 goldfish now, 8-12 frogs and
salamanders or newts is a 13x13x2 foot deep pond. 1/2 the day is gets full
sun, and even though I spent another $70 on plants last year, I still can't
get more then 1/4 shade cover for it at best.

I figure the pond to contain about 2300 gallons?? I have 1500 and
probably 50 or more goldfish along with 6 full grown koi, 6 last
year's spawn (8" or so) and some koi spawn from this spring that I
haven't been able to count. They are hiding in the 300 gal veggie
filter under the parrot feather.

I'm surprised that the UV hasn't cleared the water some. If the water
flow through it is right the water usually clears within a week.
Sometimes it takes some mechanical filtering to catch the dead and
dying algae out of the water.

I use a mechanical filter as the last stage of my biofilter. the
mechanical filter needs cleaning every 3 days. Yes it is a pita, but
it allows me to have clear water. Some years I don't leave it in
place all summer, just in the spring, this year I'm still cleaning
regularly, the UV is still going too.

What works for some may not work for everyone, but I'm curious about
your pump size, or water flow through the UV, and flow capacity of the
UV?

Regards,

Hal