Old 25-05-2007, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sam Sam is offline

Default Question

Wally wrote:
Hi, I'm a newbie to this growing lark, I've recently
taken a allotment and having a go for the first time this
year.
Been burying seeds and stuff and most seems to be growing,
however, looking at my broad beans today, they are
covered in black fly.
Will these pests do any harm to the plants?, if so
what is the best way to get rid of them??

What I do is pinch out all of them at the first sign of blackfly.
Then I go round the affected plants and grub out the blackfly
with my fingers.
Then I go round the unaffected plants and rub the haulms with
my grubby hands.It seems to send a signal to the ants not to
farm there.
BTW Farmers are paid by weight for their beans and so do not
pick them until they are large and tough.
If you pick them young you will have a truly gourmet vegetable.
Bon appetit!