Old 25-05-2007, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sam Sam is offline

Default Greenhouse Tips

Robert (Plymouth) wrote:
This year I have a small greenhouse for the first time and am growing
tomatoes, peppers etc. Any handy tips from those who know, on anything to do
with this type of gardening will be greatly appreciated.

Congratulations, Robert. This opens up a new dimension in gardening for you.
I had three seasons
1. Spring sowing
2. Summer vegetables
3. Autumn and winter plants e.g. chrysanths.also overwintering of
tender plants
and storage.

A tip I can give with tomatoes is to interplant with parsley.
They are companion plants and help each other.
Also grow some French marigolds to discourage whitefly and red spidermite.
Keep it organic otherwise you may as well go to the supermarket.
And be adventurous, try heritage plants. The Brandywine tomato is widely
considered to be the finest flavour in the world.The yellow brandywine will
grow to 2 lbs a fruit. The green zebra has a pleasant citrus flavour and
suitable for very hot weather (global warming?).
Enjoy!