Old 25-05-2007, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Pre Composting Shredded Paper.

steve auvache writes

Problem is that I have a rather large quantity of paper stored ready to
shred. Were it a normal week's collection of junk it would not be a
problem but the sheer mass of it all calls for special treatment as a
one off exercise.

I put all our cardboard bags as well as all our paper waste on to the
compost heap. In winter, the heap is nearly all paper, most of it
unshredded. It copes. The worms seem to be particularly fond of thick
soggy layers of paper.

Can you put a six inch layer of shreddings then find some sort of waste
greenery, enough for a six inch layer, or instead about 2 inches of top
soil, then another 6 inches of shreddings, and so on?
--
Kay