Old 26-05-2007, 03:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alexander Miller Alexander Miller is offline

Default Greenhouse Tips

Sam wrote:

|Keep it organic otherwise you may as well go to the supermarket.

Well, maybe not. "Organic" has many definitions but regardless, I bet home grown
will nearly always taste better then the supermarket waterbags.

|The Brandywine tomato is widely
|considered to be the finest flavour in the world.

Having read that, I grew some. The flavour was VERY disappointingly. To
contradict myself: "Might as well have gone to the supermarket!" Haven't grown
them again.

I've arrived at the opinion that tomato flavour is sometimes dependent on
location. Case in point: Here in B.C. we emigrants were very nostalgic for the
remembered taste of "Lanarkshire tomatoes." Father-in-law duly smuggled in some
which we eagerly devoured while saving some seed. Germinated & ultimately
harvested.it was --- Blah! No flavour in the locally-grown fruit..

Our favourite here is called Camp Joy - a very sweet, larger than usual, crack
resistant cherry tomato. If it exists in UK it's maybe called something
different - and doesn't taste so good! We also grow Super Early Latah for first
harvest, Principe Borghese for paste and Longkeeper for tomatoes in January.

We don't grow any hybrid tomatoes.

It's possible that the Brandywine we grew wasn't Brandywine at all , just
something else that got mis-labelled - but that wasn't the case with the
"Lanarks."

Alexander Miller
Port Alberni
Vancouver Island.