Old 26-05-2007, 03:25 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Phyllis and Jim Phyllis and Jim is offline

Default Iris's blooming... Lillies are still catching up...

On May 25, 9:09 pm, "Gareee©" wrote:
Ok, got irratated bitching here about the pond problems, and giving up on
it,. so I got more siupplies to try again. Picked up a 50 gallon rubbermade
trashcan, a 4" toilet flange, and screw cap mount to make a drain, gorrilla
glue to try gluing this stuff together, and 5 more sheets of the air
conditioning fiber for filtering filler.

We tried pieces of edpm with rubber sealer on them as gaskets to
compress the toilet flanges tight to the sides. Worked well.

I drained about 2/3 of the pond, and reseated a few plants th efish had
knocked over, cleaned out th epump, put it back in a planting basket cage
connected together with tie straps, and hooked the uv filter back up to it,
until I can get the solids filter completed.

One suggestion for connectors the guy at Lowe's had, was use insulating foam
on the inside around pipes coming in.. since it's waterproof and sticks to
everything, that should provide a good flexible waterproof seal on the
inside for the inlet.

What would the foam be sticking to? It likes enough surface to bond
well.

An observation from last year: the epoxy didn't adhere to the rubbermaid
container at all. it did stick to the flangfe, but not the rubber maid. I'm
guessing that just made a tight enough seal from the screws to prevent most
water leakage, but plumber's epoxy and rubbermaid don't mix.

Yeah. Something more rubbery, compressed works better.

Good luck!

Jim