Old 26-05-2007, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
T i m T i m is offline

Default d-i-y'd compost bin questions.

On Sat, 26 May 2007 07:51:21 +0100, "DavidG"
wrote:

Tim the flies are there becaue the recent additions to the bin are exposed.

Ok .. (would they still be considered so if I hadn't drilled the holes
under the rim David?)

Like Kay said -throw a bit of soil over the top.

Will do.

If thats not possible, use
paper shreddings or some torn up cardboard. (especially if you are about to
throw a lot of grass in)

So would either of the latter be 'better' than soil (I guess not as
you said 'if that's not possible')? Also I'm not sure just how much
'grass' I should add considering this isn't a big container and I'd
rather not waste the space for the kitchen waste. Yesterdays 'grass'
cuttings are currently laying in a big pile (I found that my green
wheely bin wasn't empty like I thought doh) and it was more like a
meadow than a lawn. Would some of that be 'better' than std lawn
trimmings?

I would chuck half to a full watering can in there first.

Right ta. I did remember to pop down there myself this morning weg.

Also get a stick and make sure you wiggle a hole down the centre to let the
air in to the centre.

Hmm, so should I also drill some further holes around the general body
of the bin do you think David? So it looks like a brazier sort of
idea?

This is a good read : http://www.compostguide.com/

It is indeed, that's for that!

All the best ..