Old 26-05-2007, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Carol Hague Carol Hague is offline

Default Question

Wally wrote:

Hi, I'm a newbie to this growing lark, I've recently
taken a allotment and having a go for the first time this
year.
Been burying seeds and stuff and most seems to be growing,
however, looking at my broad beans today, they are
covered in black fly.
Will these pests do any harm to the plants?, if so
what is the best way to get rid of them??

Not much help for this year, but the older gentlemen on the allotments
around mine have claimed that broad beans planted in the autumn and
overwintered are more resistant to blackfly than spring-planted ones.

I don't know if this is true or an old wives tale, but certainly the
ones I inherited from the previous allotment holder don't seem to have
any blackfly on them.

--
Carol
"The glassblower's cat is bompstable"